About Our QSTARS (Tenancy) Support Service
The Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) is a free advice and referral service for Queensland tenants funded by Tenants Queensland.
QSTARS aims to provide all Queensland renters with high-quality, free, independent tenant advisory services that assist tenants to manage and sustain their tenancy.
QSTARS aims to:
- Increase Queensland renters’ understanding of tenancy issues, and their ability to understand and exercise their tenancy rights and responsibilities
- Empower and build the capacity of Queensland renters’ to take action on their own to resolve issues relating to their tenancy
- Increase tenants’ capacity to maintain their tenancies and reduce their risk of homelessness
- Provide the minimum amount of intervention to facilitate the most positive outcome achievable for the Eligible person regarding their tenancy matters
- Reserve the highest level of resources and assistance for vulnerable and disadvantaged renters who require more intensive support to achieve the most positive outcome regarding their tenancy matters
- Provide a well-integrated network of QSTARS service providers through which high-quality and consistent services are delivered.
QSTARS has a central point of contact.
To receive the services provided by our tenancy advocates, please phone QSTARS on 1300 744 263.
Benefits of Accessing QSTARS
- A single entry point through the statewide telephone advice service which provides advice, assessment and referral services
- A client-centred and flexible approach that considers the needs, abilities and capacity of clients
- A strongly connected network of services working together to deliver QSTARS program outcomes
- Access to expert tenancy advice and support
- Access to a range of service delivery outlets across Queensland
- The development of Community Access Points across the state
- Consistent and high-quality services delivered across the state.
QSTARS Services include:
QSTARS provides tenancy advice and support services for Queensland renters depending on the client’s needs and capacity to self-advocate.
- Information and referral – to assist callers to access information regarding their renting rights and responsibilities, and information to sustaining tenancies. This includes factsheets, a website and other information products yet to be developed
- Individual advice and assistance – Personalised advice and assistance about tenancy rights and available related services
- Expert advice and professional support – Specialist advice on tenancy rights and personalised support to exercise tenancy rights.
“My experience was great, considering the short time frame in which we had to turn up to the Tribuneral. Melisa was easily understandable and understood, and also quick to reply and patient. Overall very professional.”
How We Can Support You
QSTARS is a free service for all Queensland tenants, offered by Tenants Queensland (TQ). The QSTARS program at TASC offers the community high-level tenancy advice and advocacy.
TASC will provide individualised advice and assistance where needed in addition to providing you with the best expert advice with professional support including liaising with the real estate agent for various matters.
TASC services a large government catchment area.
These areas include:
- Southern Downs
- Western Downs
Toowoomba and the Southwest Region of Queensland.
TASC assists tenants to advocate for themselves, and assist tenants to understand their tenancy obligations and current legislation.
TASC can advocate on behalf of tenants who are unable to advocate for themselves.
We offer to tenants:
- Advice and assistance to understand their tenancy rights and responsibilities
- Support which may assist with the resolution of a tenancy issue
- Advocacy support to liaise with lessors or agents
- Support writing letters/emails or completing tenancy forms
- Advocacy support to attend or prepare for a QCAT tenancy tribunal hearing
- Referral to other support services if required.
- Once a tenant contacts the QSTARS helpline at 1300 744 263 they will receive some immediate basic advice for their tenancy matter
- QSTARS then send a referral to TASC and our friendly intake officer will contact the tenant to arrange an appointment, this can be in person or via telephone
- A tenant advocate will be assigned and guide the client through their matter, this may just be advice, or maybe more complex with an advice worker assisting to complete forms, liaise with lessors or agents, assist with QCAT applications etc.
- The involvement of the tenancy advocate is dependent on the client’s instructions and matters
- TASC place high importance on client confidentiality, and a third party will not be aware a tenant has sought advice from the TASC’s QSTARS program unless consent is provided.
If you are contacting our office prior to contacting the QSTARS advice line, our reception staff will provide you with the QSTARS number so you can receive immediate advice.
Depending on the advice received from the QSTARS advice line, you may be referred to our service. If you are referred to TASC, one of our friendly intake officers will contact you to conduct a conflict of interest check and confirm you are eligible.
We endeavour to call you back within 24 hours of receiving your referral from QSTARS, however, during peak times this may be extended.
This is a confidential service. If we are unable to help, in some circumstances we can refer you to a service which can.
Once our intake officer has completed the conflict of interest check, a telephone appointment or a face-to-face appointment will be scheduled.
All face-to-face appointments are held at our Toowoomba office in one of our confidential meeting rooms. These rooms adhere to our Covid policies to ensure staff and client safety.
For our advocates to provide you with quality and timely advice please bring the following to your appointment if possible and if it relates to your tenancy issue:
Also, please ensure you make suitable alternative care arrangements for your children during your appointment time.
If necessary, you can organise a support person to attend the appointment with you.
Please bring any relevant documents to your appointment, this may include:
- Tenancy agreement
- RTA notices issued by the agent or lessor is applicable
- QCAT Notice of hearing and application if applicable
- Any other relevant documents which pertain to the tenancy, if applicable.
All Queensland tenants have free access to this service regarding their tenancy, whether through the private rental market i.e. (real estate agent or private landlord) or social housing.
For more information about Tenants Queensland visit
Helpful information and fact sheets can be found at: Information for tenants — Tenants Queensland (tenantsqld.org.au).
QSTARS has a central point of contact. To receive the services provided by our tenancy advocates, please phone QSTARS on 1300 744 263.
This service is funded by the
Department of Housing and Public Works.